Tuesday, August 7, 2007

I'm no Superman

There's a certain scent of optimism in the air. As us for newbies introduce each other, I think we are all eager to start banking some mad money, even though statistics indicates that chances are, the person to your left or to your right or even possibly both of them would not make it.

It's my first day at Kershner, the trading company that I took a gamble on instead of going the safe route with PPA and PwC. I knew I wanted to keep a journal so I can improve and work through the learning curve... this was long before management suggested it. It is awfully convenient that I'm crazy about the show Scrubs right now. I don't watch TV as it airs because I hate the idea having a silly box controlling my schedule. Originally I was going to title this post "newbie," like Zach Braff's character is called on the show, but I decided to go with the chorus of the song they used for the opening credits. It shows vulnerability, but I'm ok with that. It's fitting. Quite honestly, yeah, I'm scared to death. See, I'm pretty far down the 12 steps program. I'm already on "acceptance."

Yes, I do realize I have a xanga account, but I decided to keep this stuff separate and maybe ultimately migrate over here completely. Here you will hear about what's going on with my new job, my most intimate thoughts. Although, I do have to keep in mind that certain things I probably can't write about lest I violate some regulation and gets fired. I had a few ideas on what to call the blog, but quite honestly Jim Cramer or CNBC has already taken all of them. At first I thought about Wall Street Confidential, but there's a online video segment on TheStreet.com named that already. I think this is still pretty good, kind of catchy. For those that aren't familiar with the financial world, the place where the traders work at, either at the phyiscal exchange markets or staring at 6 monitors is called the floor. Down on the floor... I just liked it. It can be taken as getting down to boogie kind of floor (and I do like to dance) or a bank robbery type (as in GET DOWN ON THE FLOOR AND PUT ALL THE MONEY IN THE BAG!!)

Anyway, slow morning... after watching the traders trade frantically for about an hour we went on with the typical HR stuff with direct deposit checks (which I probably won't have to worry about for 6 months), an entertaining 45 minute video on harassment, and bunch of other legal stuff. Billy our trainer started orientating us around the office, all the software and intranet site we will be using. Yeah, it's information overload right now. With the trading going on it's just so fast I can't keep up right now. It's just rapid fire, a machine gun going off here and there and each bullet is a trade completed. Good thing I've experience this kind of overwhelming experience with Southwestern and PwC already.

There's still so much I don't know. The money right now is secondary. I just want to end everyday feeling like I've learned something or I've improved. Everyday has to be better than the day before.

No comments: