Wednesday, March 19, 2008

My SXSW on a Budget

Wristband on Craigslist: $180
Platinum badge: $1050
Music badge: $650
Seeing all your favorite bands for free: PRICELESS

Ok, so the free part is not entirely true. I did spend $20 to get into The Parish last Thursday night for the Hotel Cafe Showcase where people like Kate Havnevik, Cary Brothers, Joshua Radin, Ingrid Michaelson and Sara Bareilles played. Other than that, I didn't spend a dollar.

I'm slightly disappointed that I didn't get to see White Denim, Tokyo Police Club, and Scissors for Lefty. The whole waiting in line or commuting to a different venue makes it just impossible to see all the bands you want or they play at the same time as another band. The sooner you accept that fact the better. No matter where you go, you're going to hear about a certain set or party that was just off the hook.

It was very interesting to go to SXSW w/ my DSLR. A lot of people assume that I was working. Some would even give me their spot in the front, which usually is not necessary b/c I'm already up scoping out the good angles. Unfortunately the good angles, more so w/ smaller stages, are usually right by the speakers. I didn't have my ear plugs with me the first day and my ears hated me that night. Shooting concerts is so tricky man... if your shutter speed is not fast enough the image comes out blurry but if it's too fast you don't let in enough light. Cranking up the aperture and ISO doesn't really help sometimes. And if you choose to use flash sometimes the light comes out really harsh and you lose the background lighting and the environment of the whole show.

I snuck out of the office on Thursday to see The Raveonettes, The Shout Out Louds and Sara Bareilles. When I came back everybody on my team is up at least a G, some up three G's. Apparently there's been something that keeps printing down and they just keep racking up $100 after another. It really makes me upset... On top of that I was out late but I forgot that I had a position open overnight. When I got a phone call the next morning I knew exactly what it was for... luckily I closed out the position even. I could easily come in the office up $500 or down $500. I also missed the entire BSC move on Friday... ARGH!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Wow, crazy...I'm jealous of your SXSW experience. How was Joshua Radin?

By the way, I think White Denim plays often at the Mohawk.

Sarah said...

I wrote another comment, but I don't know where it went. Oh well.

I'm jealous of your SXSW experience! How was Joshua Radin?

Ya know, I think White Denim plays at the Mohawk from time to time. My old boss really likes them.

http://photosmashing.blogspot.com/search?q=white+denim

You can see some of her photos of them at that link.

Oh...I just realized my comments have to be moderated by you...well post this one and not the other, because this comment is way better.