Thursday, January 17, 2008

A $2,400 Keystroke Error

Sigh... I'm really pissed off right now. I have never been this upset since I started working. All those times where I had a bad day trading before I was all ok. I hate it when everybody gets all concerned and asking me if I'm ok. Shit, I sold books and dealt w/ Mrs. Jones for 80+ hours a week for an entire summer. This is nothing. I'm a mellow guy, you know? I don't get too upset about anything. Today? Today is different. I'm upset. I'm talking about steam coming out of my ears upset.

I was doing all right. I got hit on some scalp and I was up maybe couple of hundo's. I then longed EEM, thinking it's gonna bounce and then my stop got hit... Bernake is on TV testifying at Congress. I looked for a second and I went: "hmm, this is not good." so I got short instead. Well, that turned out very well for considering that I made well over $1,000 on it on 800 shares. I continue to do very well. At one point I was up about $1,400 or $1,500 depending on how my commission come out (I was trading a lot. I hit 10,000 shares well before lunch time). Then comes lunch time and I decided to stay at my desk a little bit longer b/c I had gotten some nice prints earlier and I was going to see if it would do again. That's when the ADS news came out. I had some bids out way low for 800 shares and I got filled. Nice, I was up another $400, $500. Yeah, that would've been nice. I pressed the wrong damn key and longed another 400 shares. Before I can react, I was losing over $2,000 on that trade. But I held on. Judging by the action I felt it was gonna bounce back.... and it did, but just not high enough for me to get out. Counting in the money I could've made... one damn key stroke cost me about $2,400.

Well, I made a slight come back w/ EEM. As usual when I have a bad hit I chump my trades so instead of holding on to my position in EEM I got in and out three times. The third time I lost money and I was just numb and lost about $300 on it.

That's the biggest problem I have right now. I need to get a grip on my big losers. Familiarize myself even more with my keys and change my ECN crosses from 5 to 10 cents... I dunno. This 800 shares business is kind of tough.

No comments: