Thursday, June 5, 2008

My Wedding Season

Last weekend officially kick off wedding season for me. Everything went according to plan (at least for me, hopefully it's the same for those in the wedding party). The GPS I borrowed from my dad helped, except there was one occasion where I almost took a left per the GPS instruction and almost drove into a construction site when really I'm suppose to just hang a left, a la an episode of The Office where Michael and Dwight drove into a lake. I particularly enjoy the sermon: a good mix of humor yet making a point. Although going to the Genesis was a pretty easy and obvious choice. Short and sweet, the whole thing was just under 30 minutes which I do appreciate. Being a Catholic, everything we do is so drawn out. Every Catholic mass I go to as a kid starts at 8 or 9am and we don't get out until what feels like noon.

I'm getting hit especially hard this year. I have more wedding invitation than electricity bills this year and they don't seem to stop coming. Plus some DJ and photographer gigs/favors this is shaping up to be a busy summer.

I didn't take as many pictures as I intended to, mostly b/c I spent the entire time on the dance floor and I feel rude snapping bunch of photos in the middle of the ceremony, especially when there's a hired photographer on call. I particularly like this photo. I was trying to get the ring on either John or Sarah's finger to be the focus. Some of them were ok, it was just that Sarah was laughing or doing this thing where she keeps tucking her chin in so the photo didn't come out very flattering. I still have a lot to go to hone my skills, plus I think I need to get equipments, an external flash, a diffuser for the flash, tripod, and a different lens with low f-stop since I'm getting into shooting concerts and it just comes in handy in low lighting situations.

It gets old every time I tell my parents I'm gone for the weekend for a wedding and they ask me when it's my turn. I'm not really in a hurry you know? I have the rest of my life to spend with this person and I shouldn't rush that decision. If you do happen to meet the person that makes you happy, you're lucky and more power to you.

Whenever it'll be, I know three things for certain, #1: My cake is going to be bad ass, like the ones Duff from Food Network's Ace of Cakes. #2: The food is off the hook, as Andrew from this season's Top Chef says, "gastronomical boner." #3: The first dance will blow your socks off. You probably have seen some of these "surprise" dances videos on Youtube where the music sounds like it's skipping or the DJ does something weird and then the couple does some fake ass acting job pretending to don't know what's happening and then transition into their sometimes awkward choreography. A lot of these videos they're just doing popular dances like The Apache, some Michael Jackson stuff (the one below is the first one I came across. It's pretty good). I think mine will be more closer to Dancing with the Stars. I'm going to mix my own music and you're going to see the classical ballroom steps and techniques but I will definitely be adding in some hip-hop and break dancing flavor. Hey, she can have all the rest of the wedding, but these things are where I get to make my statement. And honestly, if she's not into the dance idea.... I am probably marrying the wrong person. So darling, whoever you are, I know we haven't met but make sure your dress is comfortable and you can move in it.

1 comment:

Emils said...

i love the wedding dance