Wednesday, June 11, 2008

My Graduate Assistant Position

Starting next Wednesday, June 18th, I will be starting as a Graduate Assistant (GA) with Dale Carnegie Training. I took the course right after I graduated high school and I have to say it has fared me quite well. I miss it. I remember the feeling right after I finished the course and when I finished working with Southwestern Company. I was just a flat out positron. However, I gotta say that I'm not quite looking forward to having to wear a suit.

This is great though. I've been looking for something to do on the side. I get to work with my old GA, Jim Byrd, who's now the course instructor. This officially plugs me into the Dale Carnegie network and the speaking/training industry in a way. Who knows what this might lead to. Maybe I'll work my way up and they'll let me go out to close a few sales or maybe become an instructor one day myself. I've done the whole Toastmasters thing and I miss it quite a bit.

If you're unfamiliar with the dude in the picture, he's like the author of How to Win Friends and Influence People and How to Stop Worrying and Start Living. I can't think of anybody else that has written a book in this interpsonal/inspirational/self-help book category before him. It was first published well over 70 years ago and the same concepts still apply today. I guess you can call him the father, excuse me, make that grandfather of self-help books.

No comments: