Sunday, May 4, 2008

My April Recap

A lot has been going through my mind lately, although nothing concrete or comprehensible could be formed until lately.

April was slow... but honeslty, it wasn't that bad. I could've had a much better month if it wasn't for three days where I just blew up. Honestly, this is not new news. Similar pattern happened in February and even January. I think at times I feel the pressure to make some serious bucks or I talk to another friend and ending up very negative (mentally) the next day. I would have a few consistent up days, making decent money but then it'll be wipe away on a day that I either didn't position size properly, added to the loser or I churn/revenge trade. KDN, GME, EEM, PXP, CSH, just to name a few.

God, that CSH trade... I lost almost 2 G's on it and this was right before the Fed decision announcement. I had to leave my desk and really clear my head so I can focus later. I ended up only down about $600 that day. I don't know what I would've done if there wasn't any action that day and no opportunity to make some money. I might've quit and gone home and never come back.

So for May, Jane from the Quant Team and Lawrence my coach are working with me on reining in some of these big down days and my losers. And instead of focusing on my P&L, we're focusing on my down efficiency right now. These are the goals for May, if I hit them Lawrence is taking the team to dinner (and Jane as well??):

  • Up efficiency > down efficiency
  • Down efficiency better than -.08
  • No down days more than $800
  • Two strikes and you're out policy
  • Trade no more than 5 times in a day for index ETF's like SPY, EEM, EWZ

So far so good. Two trading days into May. Two pretty good up days. Having these goals/rules is going to force me to be disciplined and either be more selective or have better entries.

As for Ascent... that's on hold for now. Not while my confidence is low right now. I do have to add to the previous post that perhaps what I'm looking at is a very short term view. Sure, I can get a bigger slice at Ascent right now, but in the future will that pie grow as fast as I could at Kershner?

Oh, and this was pretty funny. I usually don't take horoscope very seriously but the coincidence with what's been going on is interesting.

4/28 Libra: Don't give up just because you haven't seen results yet. Patience, patience.
4/27 Libra: You've come too far to turn back now. Stick with it and you WILL achieve what you're after.

No comments: