Sunday, July 6, 2008

My Messing with the Streak

"A player on a streak has to respect the streak"
--- Crash, from Bull Durham

Trading certainly has been interesting to finish out the month. The Fed day and the day after resulted in me giving back a good chunk of my month, but then I put together a streak of three really good days, and I mean pretty damn good, at least for me at this point in the game. Then one day Lawrence came over and asked me if I'd like to trade at David's desk since he's going to be gone or trading from home pretty much all summer. Mind you, David's an HP, his computer is a lot better, plus he has four monitors that I can use and on top of that I get to sit between two really good traders. Obviously I like the idea very much, but at the same time I know I'm very much about comfort. It's not that I'm afraid of change, it's just that once I grow accustom to something, anything that's different just kind of throws me off focus and it takes time for me to get use to the new environment. It was like that for me when I play tennis if I used a new string or grip. My focus goes to how this was different compared to before instead of on the game.

Well, the first day I trade at David's desk, his primary monitor is different so I have to turn my head slightly at an angle the whole day. Sure, not a big deal but after a few hours it can create a discomfort. David's keyboard is different and I pressed the limit or market order key intead of loading the price that I want and got some pretty bad fills. David's admin is also different, which is cool that I get to see some other trader's style but I don't get to see what some of the traders that I'm used to. There's also a noticeably increase in cursing on this other side. On my side it's usually pretty quite b/c it's some of the programmers or IT guys' office and occasionaly someone might walk by but holy cow, the amount of cursing that goes on really surprises me.

I had two very very minor down days but I'm taking steps to make everything as close as to the environment that I'm used to trading in, that means making some changes to my layouts and getting rid of distractions. We'll see how this goes, if it really bothers me I might just forgo the two extra monitors and better computer and stick to my own setup.

No comments: