Thursday, April 3, 2008

My Favorite Online Photo Editor

I just heard about this new program called Photoshop Express before I left for DC and I gave it a try after I came back since some of my photos definitely could use some cropping at least. Personally, I don't like to do too much photo editing. 1) It takes up too much time, time that I don't have. 2) My personal theory is that it's not really true photography if you digitally enhanced it. 3) I want to be known for my photography skills, not Photoshop skills.

Photoshop Express is almost like the real Photoshop, except you don't have layering functions and a lot of the advance tools but it has just about everything else. Definitely enough for me to play around with. What I'm most pleased with is its ability to sync with Facebook and your blog if you have one. You can also edit old pictures you've already posted.

One thing I fear though, as w/ any other photo editing software is the lost of quality. I usually use shutterfly to print my pictures, so if I edited some pictures on PX and then downloaded back into my computer it's a compressed JPEG file but what happens if I want to print a big picture out? That is still to be answered. Also PX runs on Flash 9 and sometimes it just sucks all the RAM and computing power out of my laptop. They also leave this little caption w/ a link to PX when you upload your pics to Facebook through it. Some minor annoyance but overall I still love it; better than using the ghetto Paint program that comes with Windows.

Go to http://www.photoshop.com/express to check it out for yourself!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

In the "olden days" of wet labs (with film processing and printing), you would be surprised to know how much time is spent editing photos. There are a lot of things you can do in the wet lab to make a good print. Often if you just print it straight as is, you won't get a good product. Editing is just as much a part of the photography process as the picture-taking is. For example, see the discussion here about achieving one of Richard Avedon's looks: http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00LebS

MellowYellow said...

Photography is such an unique combination of technical, chemical, and artistic skills... which I think is why it's so challenging and intersting in my opinion.