Thursday, October 23, 2008

My Metal Mouth

It's been in the talks for a while but I'm finally taking the steps to get braces. Yeah, I know most people get them while they're younger. What can I say? I don't like dentists or orthodontists. The first musical I've ever seen is Little Shop of Horror. Let's just say that the man-eating plant didn't help my young impression of the dental industry. The upper half of my teeth are really good, it's the bottom row that I'm worried about. My lower left canine is fighting space w/ the pre-molar and causing a cross bite.

My orthodontist is someone that my brother-in-law friends with from dental school. I'm just really concerned about the pain. I thought it might help me with my diet but I'm starting to think that I won't be able to eat anything at all the first few days after I get them. I had the separators in on Tuesday to prepare for next Monday's appointment. Yes, in three days I will have metal in my mouth for the next two years. So far I'm already having trouble chewing.

Somebody just tell me that everything is going to be ok.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

You'll be fine! Although it's been 10 years since I had braces, my roommate Laura, just had them. She got them off just around the time John & I got married.

You'll be able to eat stuff, but sometimes it will hurt (just for like 2-3 days after they tighten them). Just keep pudding, Jell-o, and other soft foods around (ex: beans, tortillas, soup, pears, bananas and so forth). You'll a pro in no time! Oh, and don't forget to carry around a travel toothbrush. The biggest pain about braces is having stuff get stuck in them when you eat. You'll probably want to brush your teeth after meals.

Good luck! (or rather, Viel Glueck!)