Sunday, December 7, 2008

My Saturday

I think I spent just about the entire day shopping... I don't remember exactly when I left the house, somewhere around 11am or noon and I didn't get back until 7pm.

Stop #1: Home Depot. I went to see if they have the washer and dryer I want on sale, looked at different materials and colors for the blinds, and compared a few different light fixtures for outside of the house.

Stop #2: Ethan Allen. Looking for office desk and bar stools.

Stop #3: The Domain. I think I'm going to get a PS3 for the Blu Ray, can't quite decide what TV to put in my room. I don't need a big one since I plan on mounting it to the wall; 30" at most. Looked around some stores for wine glasses and stuff for the kitchen.

Stop #4: Z Gallerie. Technically still in The Domain but I spent a lot more time here. Looking for bar stools, bed covers, shams, and other accessories. Picked up two photograph prints by Alan Blaustine. Couldn't find the other two that I was looking for so I might go back and see if they have them back in stock or ask the store to try to ship it.

Stop #5: Sam's Club. Looking for a TV.

Stop #6: Costco. TV again and other furniture stuff. They also have the charging valet station I like for a lot cheaper.

Stop #7: Pier 1. I think I found the bar stools and office desk I like here, plus a few other decorative items.

Stop #8: Crate & Barrel. Finally decided on the wine glasses, looked at some shams and coverlets

I was planning on staying at Crate & Barrel longer but I bought some pork products that need to be refrigriated at Costco so I cut it short. Otherwise I was gonna go to Target and Restoration Hardware as well. There's also Pottery Barn still.

Maybe all this wasn't necessary but I wanted to see all what's out there and what might work well together and fit into my budget. I'm not quite sure why but a lot of stuff are more expensive than I thought it would be. It's probably best that I don't go on The Price is Right any time. For example, I thought I could get a pretty good office desk for under $400, $500 at most but Ethan Allen had one for like almot $1500. Bar stools I was hoping I can get some real steals at below $100 but I saw some for $300, $500+... I don't know if anybody felt this way but since I'm making my own money instead of relying on my allowance I've definitely been more concerned and aware of my budget.

Speaking of budget... Costco was ridiculous. There were almost no parking at all available. Some other stores and shopping malls were all pretty full, too. People are definitely out looking at stuff but I'm curious to see how many people actually bought. The retail industry has gone all-in betting on the holiday shopping season. Just looking at Austin is an isolated, blip of the big picture, but if you ask me I probably wouldn't mind longing some Costco stocks at the right price. Ethan Allen I'd have to go short. I should've gone to Best Buy. I'm going to try to find time for that.

My dad seems to think some of my photos are good enough to be framed and put up in our house. I do want to get photoshop and process some of them. It would be nice to have more of a personal touch in the house.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I don't know what kind of stemware you're looking for, but if you didn't buy yet at Crate & Barrel, Bed Bath & Beyond has great stuff for good prices. We got our everyday stemware there, and the brand we bought was $9.99 for 4 wine glasses (they have red balloons, white, etc.).

Bed Bath & Beyond also has all different prices of bar stools (and a wide selection).

Target also has all sorts of bar stoll s(probably a little less well-made, but still functional): http://www.target.com/Bar-Counter-Stools-Dining-Furniture/b/ref=sc_iw_r_1_1/175-5480859-9436345?node=12614441

I used to have these: http://www.target.com/24-Bar-Stool-Natural-Set/dp/B000BUCXAO/qid=1228723283/ref=br_1_13/175-5480859-9436345?ie=UTF8&node=14309571&frombrowse=1&pricerange=&index=target&field-browse=14309571&rank=pmrank&rh=&page=2

The set of two is just $50.

And yes, going shopping is eye-opening. John has the same notion about prices of things -- especially furniture. I think his mom still does. We got that antique hutch (and we got it for a good deal...probably about 1/4 of its value), and his mom was shocked by how much we paid for it. She thought it was too expensive. John and I had to wonder when the last time she went furniture shopping was.

Ok, sorry for the long comment. I hope this stuff helps!!